In this edition of Sonder City Chats, we spoke with Anthony Khoury, Sonder’s General Manager of Dubai, who shared his insights on the best kept secrets of the City of Gold. As a resident for nearly a decade, Anthony has become well-versed in all the incredible attractions this unique city has to offer. Here, he shares what you can’t miss, including his favorite hole-in-the-spot place to get the best Kebabs.
- What’s the best kept secret about Dubai? The art scene! Many people don’t know that Dubai has amazing local artists and great venues for them to promote their work. One of my favorite ways to unwind after a busy week is to tour art galleries and view performances – albeit that’s been a bit on pause since Covid.
- What’s one activity you’ve always had on your bucket list but haven’t gotten to do yet? Skydive Dubai has always been on my list but I never had the chance (i.e: courage) to do it. They say it is one of the best skydiving locations in the world, where you jump above a man made island in the form of a palm tree.
- What’s your favorite museum or monument? Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, never ceases to amaze me. Even after almost 10 years in the city, I am still in awe of its majestic presence.
- Favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurant? AL Ustad Special Kebab is the best persian restaurant in town! It’s very popular with locals, tourists, celebrities and even royalty.
- Most beautiful spot in the city? Nestled in a creek right off Jumeirah, Sunset Beach is one of the most beautiful spots in the city. It has a long stretch of pristine white sand for beachgoers and a boardwalk for anyone that fancies a bit of a walk. Kite surfers are also allowed in this area making the scenery even more lively.
- What’s Dubai’s response been like to COVID-19? Dubai adopted very strict measures to curb the pandemic earlier in the year, and now has most of its shops, restaurants and activities open to the public. It is still mandatory to wear a face mask and maintain social distance.
- Which Sonder space is your favorite? This spacious 4 bedroom apartment